About me from the beginning...

Well, I guess I should start with an introduction of myself. I first started crocheting when I was about 16, my mom's been crocheting like forever and passed it along to me. I picked up knitting from my sister at about 21 yrs old and fell in love. Don't get me wrong, I love crocheting too, but I feel with knitting there is much more diversity in what can be made. Before I started driving, I would do my knitting on the train and people all the time started to ask me questions and I would show them patterns of things that can be made, they saw a particular pattern, and would usually say "Wow, I would love to have this made!" and I was getting offers and phone numbers of people who wanted for me to make them stuff. People who are non-knitters do not realize the time, effort, and money that goes into making a particular item. Sure, you can walk into any department store and buy a sweater for $20, but with knitting, most of the time if you want a nice sweater, the yarn alone can cost up to or more than $80, not to mention the labor put into making the sweater. So, I started making things for people as gifts because I didn't really have the nerve to tell someone that if I charged them $150 or more for a sweater made of some very luxurious yarns, I would feel like they would laugh in my face. However, they are people out there who do appreciate a one-of-a-kind hand made garment, and my knitting has expanded to pretty much everything. So, I am starting this blog to show people some of the items that I have made, if they are interested in anything to be custom made for them, I would be more than happy to discuss what you would like done. This bag here was the first bag that I created. I've used it to carry school books and other stuff and it's held up great. As you can see in the middle pic, it has a small inside pocket that can carry an ipod, mp3 player, or other things (The pocket size can be adjusted to your liking, of course). I used a very thick wool yarn for this bag, and it was the first bag that I meandered from a pattern with. Basically, I modified the pattern(as seen in "Stitch 'n' Bitch" the original book. Everything can be adjusted with bags and I love to make them. Small, big, backpacks, you name it! And there are so many variations of yarn that can be used, but generally speaking when making bags, you want to use a good sturdy yarn. The next pic of this bag is just to show how it looks being worn (kinda blurry, sorry that's my webcam!) This next item I made is just to die for. I also made it from the Stitch 'n' Bitch book, but I used similar (and less expensive) yarns that look practically identical to the finished product. It is a turtleneck poncho that is ribbed at the neck and designed with straps of furry yarn (lion brand fun fur, along with the basic yarn) and it's a perfect poncho to wear on days that are a bit chilly, but not too chilly, like now in days before spring, or on a nice spring night. This poncho has stripes of purple and red in a charchol wool base yarn and has a tie (optional) with two little pom poms at the end. I don't know if you can really see, but it ends in a "V" shaped fashion. Very nice to wear for a night on the town, or for any chilly day. Keeps your neck super warm, too! Anyway, I make all types of items, and the cheapest and quickest things to make are: hats, glovettes (fingerless gloves) cell phone covers, or ipod covers, thin decorative belts or scarves. If you want something made, have an idea of something you may want made for a loved one, we can chat and do some brainstorming. If you want to meet in person, I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY, we can meet in person, if you like, or if you want to chat online my email is: vickys2133@yahoo.com Thanks for reading! PS-I am adding a photo album that shows all the projects that I spoke of.

Friday, August 05, 2011

Some great new books...

I've been waiting for this book to come in the mail all week, and it's finally here!! It's the best book for those who are already knitters who wish to make their own custom made patterns.  It has what's called 'master templates' for all different items, socks, sweaters, vests, gloves/mittens, hats, scarves, bags and much more! What I love even more about this book, is the Appendix in the back, it shows how to make a custom made pattern by taking your exact measurements (waist, shoulders, length of back & front, sleeves, etc), which is PERFECT for someone like me, who has distention in my abdomen area, I find when I buy shirts, I have to get them in a large size, and the sleeves are always big, and it just doesn't fit right. But, if I'm able to make a customized shirt based solely on my measurements, then I can make a shirt to accommodate my large belly.  I don't know if any other women have that problem, buying shirts or sweaters that just don't fit right, well, if that's the case, this is the book for you! To order this book, and start your own endeavor on making the 'perfect pattern' for you, click here
This book is totally awesome, and with it's help, I will start making and posting pictures of my 'own unique' patterns!

Another great book is "The Field Guide to Knitting". If you wish to make your own unique patterns, this book is also a MUST HAVE.  Click here to purchase it and take a look on what's inside.  It shows you virtually every pattern known to man!  These would be you're two reference books in creating your own pattern.  And, you can create your own pattern not just for a custom made sweater, but for anything.  If you wish to make a unique blanket, or a special covering for something, all you need to do is know the measurements of what it is you want to make, what yarn you want to use, the gauge of that yarn, and what kind of pattern you would like to use (and that's where the "Field Guide to Knitting" comes into great handy, I would go further to say that it's a necessity).  So, now that I'm armed with these two great books, I am ready to start making my own patterns.  You can actually take any pattern and customize it to your liking.  You just have to find a stitch pattern that fits into the number of active stitches, and rows.  Now, this may sound complicated, but even if you're a novice knitter, if you buy these two books and read them, but not only read them, actually do the steps that are being done as you go along.  By reading it, you can get a gist of how to customize something, or as "Teach yourself Visually Design Knitting" puts it, the 'master pattern', which in retrospect, can be any pattern that can be tweaked to your specifications.  When looking at the back of the book, you can see that it's so simple to make your own pattern, all you need is a book of graph paper, pencil & eraser, ruler, and a calculator, because most people don't know that in creating a pattern, there's A LOT of mathematics involved.

If anyone out there who knits, please stay tuned, because I'm quickly learning on how to make my own patterns, and I will have them posted here, on my blog.  Once I get good at learning how to design my own patterns, I think the same rules apply to creating a crocheted pattern.  I do have books on crocheting stitches, not just the typical single, half-double, double and triple crochet stitches, but making crocheted items that have more design to it, such as picot stitching, seed stitch crocheting, etc.
Anyone who purchases both of these books shown above, will not be disappointed, I can assure you that! If you take the time, you, too, will be creating your own patterns in no time! And when you do, please send them to me, I would love to see them! If anyone's got any 'custom' made patterns already, please sent them to me, as well and I can (with your permission, of course) put them up here for all to see! Till next time...

No comments: